Monday, October 8, 2012

Remembering a Conversation From the Other Night

I had been browsing around on Amazon and came across a few self-help books for couples. Using the "look inside" function I read a few pages of content and read some stories of couples with some serious issues that they were able to overcome. I was happy they did, and even more relieved to note how relatively tame any issues in our relationship seem to be. I was thinking about all this when I started this conversation.

Me: So, here's a rather ridiculous question, mostly because I'm asking you to quantify something that can't really be quantified, but how would you rate our relationship on a scale of one to ten?

You: Our relationship?

Me: Yeah, like the health of our relationship. How would you score it?

Your answer was quick and rather nonchalantly delivered as you put something in the fridge.

You: I'd say 8. Maybe 8.5?

I was hoping you wouldn't score us lower than a seven, so I was very pleased with your reply, and even more to feel like it matched the score I would give us. I nodded in agreement.

Me: Yeah. I'm right there with ya.

The conversation drifted into other things more practical and immediate, but later in the evening I followed up by asking...

Me: So, what can we do to improve our relationship?

Again your answer came quickly and matter of fact.

You: We've just gotta get rid of these kids.

Here's to you, my love. And to these little humans you could never live without.


No comments:

Post a Comment