Monday, October 15, 2012

Listening to my own advice

I was with my friend Michaela today, who is not a member. She told me she and her husband are attending couples counseling. Sadness overwhelmed me, but I was also hopeful. At least they haven't given up on their marriage. I hope they don't. He is a part owner in a restaurant and opening another one, which means he is insanely busy. This also means Michaela has been a single mom for a couple of months. Neither one has a day off. They have little to no time alone or with each other. This is a recipe for disaster on so many levels. I offered some unsolicited advice... he needed to impose his own limits on his work. With a job that is 24/7, he has to be the one to impose the limits so it doesn't destroy him (and his marriage). She needed to go do something for herself. They needed to find time to spend together, alone.

Then I thought about us. Our marriage isn't perfect, but I am glad you don't work 100 hours a week and leave me a single mom. We try to get out and do things alone together, and I try to get out by myself. I appreciate your support and encouragement in all of these activities. Surely, we could do a little more, but on the whole, I think we do pretty well. Sitting here thinking about this, I wanted to tell her that she and her husband need to go to the temple, which wouldn't be appropriate necessarily since they are not members. But it made me realize how lucky we are to have the temple, to understand the covenants we have made and the nature of God as well as the role of family in his plan. It also made me want to share these things with her in some way.

They have been married as long as we have. Their kids are the same age as ours (minus Fiona). We may have ups and downs, good days and bad. I may complain about my lack of sleep or time to myself, but at least we are trying to think about each other and make the other person happier. That alone has made a big difference in the functionality and happiness of our marriage. So thanks for always thinking of me and not thinking of yourself and for loving me when I am not thinking of anyone but myself. I needed you long before I knew it. But I once I knew it, I never forgot it.

No comments:

Post a Comment